Police look for three men in South Auckland shooting incident

Supplied Content

Radio New Zealand, October 6, 2017

The police are still looking for the three men involved in the drive-by shooting in South Auckland where two shots were fired, injuring three.

Neighbours at the Kudu Road and Preston Road intersection in tara say they were kept in the dark about the incident and they havent heard from the police about what they should be doing.

Three young men were walking on the street at about 7 pm last night (Thursday) when a car pulled up next to them, police said.

Group confrontation

There was a confrontation between the two groups and someone inside the car fired two shots, possibly from a shotgun.

All three, aged 14-21 years, were taken to Middlemore Hospital, and one a 16-year-old boy – is still there.

Neighbours to the shooting scene said the area was no stranger to action but last night was the first time they had known of shots being fired.

Quiet day

Johnasson Mariri said that today the footpaths were a lot quieter.

He was glad his children werent around when it happened, he said.

I have my two daughters and my son, who play here all the time, as if this is their playground. I used to think, What if something happened. The bullet could have hit one of my children. So, I am really annoyed and angry and want to get my children away from Otara, he said.

Mr Mariri said that in the meantime he was going to pack up the van and take his family away for the weekend.

That is what we usually do if something goes bad here, Mr Mariri said.

An Eyewitness

Another neighbour, Joseph Koteka was at home last night and saw it unfold.

I just thought someone chucked a firework bomb. got scared and everyone was looking around, he said.

Mr Koteka said he froze and then checked to see if the three who were shot at were all right.

Radio New Zealand also spoke to some primary-school aged children who also witnessed what happened.

They said that after the initial shock they ran home to tell an adult and had been told to play at home today.

I feel safe with my grandma and my grandpa and maybe I should listen to them to not go on the road because its busy, so I have to stay inside the house, nine-year-old Marina Katoa said.

Police comment

Marinas grandfather, Tevita Katoa, said that they needed to know more from the police about what was going on during the incident.

But Detective Sergeant Len Leleni said that the police presence in the area was heavy and that there was no cause for concern.

It was likely the teenager in hospital would be discharged in the next 24 hours and more information about the three men in the car will keep coming in, he said.

*

Photo Caption:

Police for three men-Preston & Kudu Road Intersection

Photo Courtesy: Radio New Zealand (Picture by Laura Tupou)

About The Author

Related posts