Prompt returns keep you in good books

You may need to file a tax return if you are self-employed, run a company or have worked for cash.

Do you have income from property, partnerships, trusts or from overseas?

If you have income that has not been taxed, if your have received scheduler payments, you must file your IR3 by July 7, unless you are a tax agent.

Online support

The quickest simplest way to file your IR3 is through ‘myIR,’ a secure online service that can be accessed on our website.

When filing your return online, your earnings information will be pre-populated for you to enable you to save a draft part way through completing it.

You can also keep a PDF copy for your records.

If you are unable to file your IR3 by this date for any reason please call us 0800-377774, using the keywords ‘extension of time’ when prompted by the phone system.

If you are in business, you must complete and send us an income tax return. You should attach a copy of your financial records or a form that summarises your income and expenses.

The following summary forms may be used:

IR3B – Sole traders and partnerships can use this form to show business income

IR3F – This form is especially for farming income and expenses

IR3R – You can use this form to show any rental income you received

IR10 – This form summarises selected account information from your financial records

Business type Return to use Attachment

Sole trader IR3 copy of accounts or IR3B, IR3F, IR3R, IR10

Company IR4 copy of accounts or IR10

Estate or trust IR6 copy of accounts or IR3B, IR3F, IR3R,IR10

Partnership or

look-through company IR7 copy of accounts or IR3B, IR3F, IR3R, IR10

Club or society IR9 copy of accounts or IR10

Penalties & Extensions

The law requires you to file your tax returns by their due dates. If you don’t, you may have to pay a late filing penalty. If you receive a reminder to file your return or an account for a late filing penalty, file the outstanding return right away or let us know if you are not required to file a return.

The amount of a late filing penalty depends on your net income, which is gross income less allowable deductions, before any net loss offsets.

If for some reason you are unable to file your income tax return by the due date, you may apply for an extension of time (EOT) by contacting us.

To find out more about filing your return and register for online services, visit, and click the ‘Register Now’ button.

Free Workshops

If you are in business, you may like to attend one of our free tax seminars or workshops held in various parts of the country. Please visit our website for details (

Abdul Rafik is Inland Revenue’s Community Compliance Officer based in Auckland. He will answer your queries, which may be emailed to

Sharing is caring!

Related posts

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: