At least four dead in Maryland newspaper attack

Reuters, RNZ

Auckland, June 29, 2018

At least four people were fatally shot at a newspaper office in the Maryland capital of Annapolis on Thursday (June 28) and a suspect was apprehended, multiple media reports said.

The incident took place outside the Capital Gazette office and a reporter said that the suspect fired directly into the newsroom.

For now, the Annapolis shooting is being treated as a local incident and not one that involves terrorism, a law enforcement official said.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is on the scene assisting local authorities, the official said.

Phil Davis, who identified himself as a courts and crime reporter at the Capital Gazette, tweeted that multiple people had been shot.

Single shooter

Mr Davis said a single shooter “shot multiple people at my office, some of whom are dead.”

“There is nothing more terrifying than hearing multiple people get shot while you are under your desk and then hear the gunman reload,” Mr Davis tweeted.

According to Fox News reports, Police warned about the possibility of more shooters, however that has not officially been confirmed.

Police confirmed on Twitter it was an “active shooter” situation and that the building had been “evacuated.”

Agents from the Baltimore office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were responding to the incident, the bureau tweeted.

Live video images showed people leaving the building, walking through a parking lot with their hands in the air. Scores of police vehicles were on the scene.

Police also went to the offices of the Baltimore Sun as a precaution, that paper reported.

Indian Newslink has published the above Report and Picture under a Special Agreement with www.rnz.co.nz
*

Photo Caption:

The scene of the incident at Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis.

(Photo: Screengrab from Fox News)

Booking.com

Related posts

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: