Wellington, June 30, 2018
Acting Prime Minister Winston Peters and Health Minister Dr David Clark are pleased that the District Health Boards have made a revised offer to the New Zealand Nurses Organisation that has seen the strike notice lifted for July 5, 2018.
The new DHB offer will be recommended to members by the NZNO and a ratification process will be conducted next week.
“No one wants to see industrial action in our hospitals and both parties are to be congratulated for the constructive way they have continued to work together to find a settlement,” Mr Peters said.
“This breakthrough means industrial action next week has been averted. That is good news for everyone – nurses, DHBs and most importantly patients up and down the country,” he said.
“The NZNO will now put the revised offer to its members for their ratification and I encourage nurses to consider this offer closely,” said Dr Clark said.
“The lifting of strike notice will mean DHBs can operate as usual next week. I know this will be a huge relief to patients,” he said.
About 100 nurses protested outside Christchurch Hospital earlier this year.
Picture for RNZ by Logan Church (Under Special Arrangement)