Police chase around Auckland leads to two arrests

Tusha Penny (INL Picture)
Auckland, October 19, 2018
Police have arrested two males following a serious fleeing driver incident that occurred across Auckland today.
The incident began at 11.42 am after Police Officers were conducting enquiries at an address in Blockhouse Bay regarding a wanted person, who had an active warrant to arrest for escaping custody.
As Police were leaving the address they spotted a person of interest in a vehicle nearby and approached the car – a silver Audi saloon.
Wild drive on Motorways
As Police approached the vehicle a male occupant allegedly fired at least one shot at Police, before the driver fled toward SH20.
Police followed the vehicle at a distance while eagle monitored the vehicle’s movements overhead.
The fleeing driver exited SH20 before entering SH1 at Greenlane where it was observed travelling in a dangerous manner as it fled from the Southern Motorway to the Northern Motorway where it exited at Wainui.
The vehicle continued to flee from Police travelling north on SH16 where one of the occupants decamped from the vehicle and was arrested in Kaukapakapa at around 1229 pm.
Second occupant surrenders
A second occupant continued to flee from Police before eventually surrendering after the vehicle came to a stop just north of Te Pahi Creek Bridge on SH16 at 1.07 pm.
On at least five occasions during the pursuit, shots were fired at Police by occupants of the fleeing vehicle. Additionally, a member of the public reported that the driver shot at their direction while the vehicle was fleeing Police on SH20.
One of the alleged offenders is being treated for a minor injury which was sustained during the interaction with Police.
Fortunately, there were no injuries to any members of the public or Police staff.
Police Investigation underway
Police investigation is underway to establish the full circumstance of what occurred.
“We are very lucky today that we are not looking at a homicide enquiry, after Police officers and innocent of the public were put in grave danger by the reckless actions and complete disregard for human life that was shown by these alleged offenders.
I am horrified that at least ten members of staff, as well as members of the public, were put in a life-threatening situation by the cowardly actions of these individuals.
Our brave Police staff come to work every day to protect our community and keep people safe and this is the last thing any of them deserve.
I want to acknowledge their courage and bravery which resulted in the apprehension of these individuals without any harm being caused to the community.
The investigation is still in its early stages and we are currently piecing together all of the circumstances.
A 22-year-old male and a 23-year-old male are facing a number of charges and will be appearing in the Waitakere District Court tomorrow.
Public assured
We want to reassure the public that we are not seeking anyone else in relation to this frightening incident.
We want to hear from any members of the public who witnessed this incident and may have information that could assist our enquiries.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Waitemata Police on 09 839 0600 or contact CrimeStoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.
As per any serious incident of this nature, Police policy, practice and procedure will be reviewed and the matter will also be referred to the IPCA.
Tusha Penny is Superintendent of Police and District Commander of the Waitemata Police District


Related posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: