Woman escapee from managed isolation in the dock

Woman escapee from managed isolation in the dock

Auckland, July 13, 2020

RNZ Photo by Rebekah Parsons-King

A woman, accused of escaping from an isolation facility before her mandatory quarantine period ended, has appeared in court.

Suzanne Marie Derrett appeared in the Auckland District Court this afternoon (July 13, 2020) charged with failing or refusing to isolate for the required 14-day period.

The 43-year-old is one of the first people charged under the Covid-19 Public Health Response Act.

She was said to have climbed a fence at the Pullman Hotel in Auckland this month after flying in from Brisbane.

Not positive

The court heard she had been tested for Covid-19 twice, with no positive result, and wished to return to Dunedin with her brother, who was in court for the hearing.

She was remanded on bail without plea and will appear again in two weeks time.

In total, there have been four escapes from managed isolation in New Zealand.

Last week, a person in their 60s broke a window and escaped from an Auckland isolation hotel.

This week 30 deportees from Australia are expected to arrive. They will be staying at a dedicated inner-city hotel with enhanced security attached to it.

Health Minister Chris Hipkins said there would be no tolerance for anyone breaking the rules.

Published under a Special Agreement with www.rnz.co.nz

Related posts

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: